Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pick up day......NOT

The starfish is sitting next to me eating cookies.  7 days ago I could not even imagine that.  God is good and answers the many prayers of His people.

My friend Karen came on this pick up trip with me and I have to say the trip itself was free of complications, just long as always.  We stopped in Canada and ate cheese burgers and fries.  Next stop was Frankfort Germany where we had Bratwurst.  Got to Sofia in the afternoon in time to have an evening meal at a little restaurant nearby.....Schnitzel.  It was Sunday and we were scheduled to be picked up by a taxi with our interpreter to fly to Burgas pick Monika up and bring her to Sofia.  We did not know we were going to have a complicated day.  On the way to the airport, we were told that Monika had been very sick and in the hospital since Friday (4 days).  A few minutes later, one of us started become panicked when she realized she had no idea where her passport and money bag was.  U-turn by taxi to go back to apartment.  After looking every where in apartment without finding it, we returned to taxi with a photocopy of the passport and original drivers license.  We did not think it would work, but had to head back to airport.  On way to airport, one more search of backpack revealed money bag with passport had slipped inside the inflatable airplane pillow holder.  We had it!

Got to airport in Sofia.  Plane was 1-1/2 hour delayed.  Interpreter kept getting calls from various people about Monika and things started to get confusing.  First we were told that I could check her out of hospital, but take her back to orphanage to rest in familiar place during day then pick her up for good in the evening on way to airport.  Our plane was not supposed to leave until 9 pm.  Next message said she had taken a bad turn, so would stay in hospital until I checked her out in evening.
Another message indicating the pick up may not be possible.  When we landed in Burgas, we went by taxi straight to the hospital.  She was in a neurology ward.  It was not visiting hours, which they enforce strictly.  The neurosurgeon got us past the guards.  When I saw Monika I was shocked at her condition.  She was thin when I saw her in Dec, but  now was skin and bones having not been able to eat for over a week.  She was on IV for fluids and still throwing up with horrible head pain.  Too weak to hold her head up but still trying her best to smile.  It was obvious to me, this would not be a pick up day.  The neuro surgeon came in and said while we were flying Monika had a seizure and cat scan revealed her shunt that was put in as an infant for hydrocephalus was not working and fluid was building up in the brain.  I spent the day with her and her caregivers.  A caregiver had to be with her 24 hours a day.  They were VERY loving to her and it was so good for me to see this and see how well she related to them.  Unfortunately, after a long day I had to return to Sofia without her.  That will be the subject of another blog.  Tuesday morning I received a call saying Monika had to have emergency surgery replacing shunt Monday after I left.


Monika on the Monday that should have been pick up day in the Hospital in Burgas.



Even in her weak state and in pain, she managed a smile for her mama :)


2 comments:

  1. Wow! God put you there just when she needed you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I am glad I was there with her that day, even though it was hard to see her so sick and weak.

    ReplyDelete